Jean's Artful Spirit

"Art is the conveyance of spirit by means of matter". Salvador de Madariaga 1886-1978 Creating art quilts, drawing and painting feeds my creative spirit. My goal here is to share my joy of the spirit of creativity with all who visit.

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Photo To Landscape Class

On Saturday, April 19, I taught my first quilting class! I did this for the Kalamazoo Log Cabin Quilters, Inc, the guild to which I belong.

Though I love doing landscape quilts, I was a bit nervous about teaching my techniques to others. My friend, Alta Dekema (who also took the class), was the chairman for our guild's Saturday workshops and she talked me into teaching a class. Boy was she good at begging!

Below are some pictures from the class, starting with the full class at work on their quilts. The class included Pat Shaw, Vickie Smith, Ellen Colston, Cathy Warner, Linda Mosher, Gina Irelan, Jackie Skarritt, Roberta Annsla, Alta Dekema and Sally Amador








Below are the students' works in progress.











































In the morning's session we worked on the above landscapes. After lunch we worked on free motion embroidery(FME), using tulle between two layers of Sulvy water soluble stabilizer, to produce free standing appliques. The appliques will be added to the finished landscapes. I was inspired by the different looks the students produced, especially since they were all working from the photo I provided. Only one student brought in her own photo (from a book on Matisse-the piece with the bridge) to work from.
I did learn a couple of things teaching this class. It should actually be a two day class, with the first day doing the landscape and the second day working on the free motion embroidery. Everyone was having so much fun doing the landscape, we ended up breaking late for lunch, which made us late starting the FME portion of the class. Luckily, everyone was able to nearly complete their applique in the class.
I'm hoping the students will bring their finished pieces to the next guild meeting for show and tell, so I can see what else they did. All in all, this is a class I would teach again, and may decide to pitch it to several different quilt stores in the area.

2 Comments:

At 2:18 PM, Blogger Roberta Ranney said...

Bravo Jean! You did it and it sounds as if everyone learned a lot and enjoyed it at the same time. With ten students you didn't just dip a toe in the water, you dove in headfirst. Congratulations.

Roberta

 
At 7:14 PM, Blogger Christine Thresh said...

The class pieces are outstanding. It is hard to believe they created such lovely things in only one day.
You must be a wonderful teacher.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home