Jean's Artful Spirit

"Art is the conveyance of spirit by means of matter". Salvador de Madariaga 1886-1978 Creating art quilts, drawing and painting feeds my creative spirit. My goal here is to share my joy of the spirit of creativity with all who visit.

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Opinions Needed

This is something new I have tried. I'm really not much of a traditionalist when it comes to patchwork. I took three coordinated patterns of decorator fabric samples and cut them like a 9 patch, but with curves. Then I put them back together trading the parts around. Below are the three sewn pieces arranged in five different ways.

Please give me your opinion on which one looks best or what else I could do to make this a better piece (other than just throwing it in the trash!). I kind of like #3 and #5. What's your pick and is there anything else I should do with this?

I do have these same three samples in navy blue, should I do the same thing with them and then put the six together into a piece? Should I have sashings of some sort and a border? Your opinions are welcomed and appreciated.
Arrangement #1


Arrangement #2


Arrangement #3


Arrangement #4


Arrangement #5














Part of the reason I did this set is to jump start a bit of creativity, waiting for the start of Fast Friday Fabric Challenge this Friday. I'm really looking forward to it.

5 Comments:

At 9:42 PM, Blogger Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Jean, It looks like you had fun with this! I think these blocks would make a wonderful border around a center motif of some kind. I see the most movement in #2, which I like alot. #3 and 5 have a more solid feel to them with the strong vertical line. I'd say it just depends on what look you want. Thanks for the invite to view and comment!
Cynthia

 
At 1:43 AM, Blogger Sonja Threadgill Nelson said...

Hi Jean, I like #4 the best....I would leave this as a vertical wallhanging, & put some chinese symbols in the white areas of #4 in black, & a narrow border in black. My 1st thought was the orient when I viewed them.
Loved your Tiny challenge...I may not enter mine after seeing yours...sigh! Good Job!

 
At 5:00 AM, Blogger Helen Anne said...

Hi Jean
I like #4. The fabrics have an oriental feel to them. In #4, it looks like a stylized lady in a Kimono. I think I'd chase that part of it. Looks like fun.
Helen Anne

 
At 2:57 PM, Blogger Ferret said...

I guess I am just going to add confusion, but I really like #1. I think looks more grown and natural which I like. Whichever one you choose this is an interesting oportunity, to comment on someone else's work. Thanks

 
At 3:09 PM, Blogger Sharon Serrano Ahmed said...

Personally I like four better. I think that sashing would break up the rhythm.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home