Jean's Artful Spirit

"Art is the conveyance of spirit by means of matter". Salvador de Madariaga 1886-1978 Creating art quilts, drawing and painting feeds my creative spirit. My goal here is to share my joy of the spirit of creativity with all who visit.

Saturday, October 04, 2008

Time for Quilting!

Now that I've finally finished all my current home dec sewing jobs for others, I can get started on some fun things.

I'm chairman for the raffle quilt for the Log Cabin Quilters of Kalamazoo (MI) for our 2009 show, which will be held next October. I've adapted a beautiful Carol Doak pattern from her 50 Fabulous Stars book and we will be making a queen size quilt.

Carol spoke at our meeting in August, and I took her paper piecing class at that time. She has graciously given us permission to use her pattern for our raffle quilt.

I've used the Michigan Star and we will be appliqueing apple blossoms (the state flower) in the center of the blocks. There will be two borders as well, which will leave plenty of space for wonderful quilting to be highlighted. The main portion of the block is paper pieced. As soon as I get one of the blocks completed I will post a picture.

Right now I should be washing the about 30 yards of fabric I bought this week. I'm not looking forward to ironing it all so we can get it cut and put into packets for the members to work on. This is a big project, but I am enjoying getting everything organized and ready for everyone. (My husband says I'm a micro-organizer, so I guess that's why I like this part!)

Besides working on the raffle quilt, I need to get to work on a couple of small quilts that will be donated, with stuffed animals to a women and chidren's abuse center, just before Christmas. This is one of our annual charity drives that the Log Cabin Quilters do each year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home