Jean's Artful Spirit

"Art is the conveyance of spirit by means of matter". Salvador de Madariaga 1886-1978 Creating art quilts, drawing and painting feeds my creative spirit. My goal here is to share my joy of the spirit of creativity with all who visit.

Monday, October 13, 2008

Productive Day

Last weekend I went to the Quilts On The Grand quilt show in Grand Rapids, MI. While there we (hubby & I) saw a great cutting system and my husband bought it for me for my birthday (a month early!) It's called the Quilt Cut2 system. It has a board that the cutting mat is attached to, it also has a system for holding your fabric in place so that you can cut quickly. It comes with a T-square "bar" that you cut against (you can also set it at different angles), and an adjustable ruler that allows you to make repeated cuts easily and quickly.

Using this system I cut strips from 30 yards of fabric, in about two hours. The strips were for my guild's raffle quilt and they will be cut into smaller pieces to be used for paper piecing the blocks.

In two hours, three freinds from the Log Cabin Quilters of Kalamazoo and I cut all the strips and helped me to prepare the packets of parts for our 2009 raffle quilt, which I am chairing. It's surprising how fast you can get so much done. Once we had the fabric all cut, we lined all the bits up and stuffed the baggies, assembly line fashion. We had great time and it was a lot of fun working with good friends.

I adapted a pattern from Carol Doak's 50 Fabulous Stars book, and we are doing the Michigan star. There will be apple blossoms appliqued in the center of each block and we will have robins quilted in the corners of the outer border. This will truly be a Michigan quilt!

As soon as I have one of the blocks completed I will post it here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home