Jean's Artful Spirit

"Art is the conveyance of spirit by means of matter". Salvador de Madariaga 1886-1978 Creating art quilts, drawing and painting feeds my creative spirit. My goal here is to share my joy of the spirit of creativity with all who visit.

Thursday, February 19, 2009

Raffle Quilt

I haven't posted in quite a while, but I had a good excuse! I've been working on the Raffle quilt for the Kalamazoo Log Cabin Quilters, my local guild. I'm chairman for this year's quilt, which will be given at our show in October of this year.

The pattern was adapted from Carol Doak's Michigan Star, in her "50 Fabulous Stars" book. In the original paper pieced pattern, the blue block in the center of each square was pieced. Because I wanted the apple blossom (Michigan's state flower) applique there I had to adapt the block so we could use a solid piece of fabric for the applique.

The geometric outside portions of the block were paper pieced and were done by many members of the guild. I designed the inner (green) border so the red triangle would produce a diamond like those between the blocks.

The two pictures are of the top, draped over tables at the Bernina Store in Kalamazoo, MI. The owner, Karen Kortman, also a guild member, will be doing the quilting for us. She does really beautiful work and I am looking forward to see what she designs to enhance the pattern. She was really excited when she saw the quilt, and wants to own it herself, as do I. I'm sure we'll sell lots of tickets this year!




2 Comments:

At 5:15 AM, Blogger pcoxdesign said...

That is gorgeous! The winner will be very happy with this raffle prize!

 
At 10:14 AM, Blogger Cynthia said...

Wow! Beautiful!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home