Jean's Artful Spirit

"Art is the conveyance of spirit by means of matter". Salvador de Madariaga 1886-1978 Creating art quilts, drawing and painting feeds my creative spirit. My goal here is to share my joy of the spirit of creativity with all who visit.

Wednesday, March 18, 2009

The Raffle Quilt Is Finished!

Whew! I finally have finished the Kalamazoo Log Cabin Quilter's 2009 Raffle Quilt! This was a real challenge for me as I usually do much smaller quilts. This quilt was adapted from Carol Doak's Michigan Star pattern, from her 50 Fabulous Stars book.

I chose this block to adapt since Kalamazoo is in Michigan. The way I adapted the paper pieced pattern was to eliminate the center part so that we could use a solid piece of fabric for the applique of the apple blossoms. I designed the applique pattern. Apple blossoms are Michigan's state flower.

Though they don't show in the pictures, because the quilter used blue thread, there are outlines of robins in the corners of the outer border. Robins are Michigan's state bird.

The paper piecing and applique was done by members of the Kalamazoo Log Cabin Quilters. The quilting was done by Karen Kortman, a member and owner of the Bernina Store in Kalamazoo. She did a great job!

The proceeds from the raffle ticket sales will be going to local charities. This quilt will be given away at our biannual quilt show this October.







0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home