Jean's Artful Spirit

"Art is the conveyance of spirit by means of matter". Salvador de Madariaga 1886-1978 Creating art quilts, drawing and painting feeds my creative spirit. My goal here is to share my joy of the spirit of creativity with all who visit.

Friday, May 15, 2009

Dolphin Dreams

I've finally finished the quilt for my granddaughter, Correen's birthday. Unfortunately, that was on March 26, but I was unable to get done before now because of health issues. Correen had requested a dolphin so she could hang it in their new house. I hope she enjoys it as much as I had fun making it!

The dolphin is done with needle turned applique and is padded to be three dimensional. The other fish and coral reef items are all fused applique, then I used a small zig zag stitch to secure them and quilt them at the same time. The seaweed is done with eyelash yarn, two pieces sewn down together, with the very tops left loose to blow in the breeze, to give motion to the quilt.











The dolphin is from the Jan/Feb 2008 Applique Society newsletter, the pattern, Sparkle and Friend by Kathy McNeil.










Here is a close up showing the seaweed, eyelash yarn.








I used the pillow method of finishing the edges of the quilt so that I could have the bottom follow the line of the coral wreath, which was fused and then stitched down.

6 Comments:

At 9:04 AM, Blogger pcoxdesign said...

Beautiful! She will love it I am sure.

 
At 9:07 AM, Blogger Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

Beautiful piece, I'm sure she will love it, even it it isn't late. You've explored a lot of textures and I like the outcome.

 
At 9:11 AM, Blogger JYA Fiberarts said...

Jean, I love the quilt, particularly the colorful little fish, swimming along with the dolphin! This is a wonderful gift, worth waiting for!

 
At 10:22 AM, Blogger Carole said...

Well done, Jean! and your grand daughter will love it.... sometimes it is more fun when it is late.....
I like the use of 'textures' to bring reality to this piece. Thank you for sharing.
Carole

 
At 10:59 AM, Blogger Ann said...

Grandma !!!!!!! That's so cool.

 
At 2:22 PM, Blogger cathwren's blog said...

Jeanne.. it turned out just beautiful.. She should be tickled pink with it... nice job...

Missed you Thursday.. next Thursday I won't be there because I'm taking the class from Barbara Olson...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home